History & Archives Committee
- To manage The Society's historical collections (papers, images and apparatus) in collaboration with appropriate professional repositories.
- To contribute to The Society's Archive by:
• ensuring proper conservation and maintenance of The Society's collections
• ensuring the regular accrual of The Society's papers
• encouraging individual physiologists to donate relevant personal and professional records to an appropriate repository
• publicising the need for the collection and maintenance of artefacts associated with the history of physiology
• supervising a programme of oral history interviews with individuals who have contributed to physiology and to The Society
- To promote The Society's archival collections to appropriate audiences.
- To use The Society's collections to assist in raising the profile of physiology in the UK (e.g. by preparing written and visual historical material in hard copy or electronically; and celebrating famous physiologists by promoting the placement of Blue Plaques).
- To propose bi-annually to Council the Paton Lecturer in consultation with the Editorial Board of Experimental Physiology.
- To administer the Paton Prize Bursary Fund for historical studies.
The Society's Honorary Archivist is Professor Tilli Tansey OBE (Queen Mary, University of London). The Society's Archive (described on a separate web page) is housed at the Wellcome Library and can be accessed using this link: http://bit.ly/17DVyv4. General enquiries for the attention of the Committee can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.