Postdoctoctoral Research Fellow, Integrative Neuroscience
We are seeking an experienced postdoctoral neuroscientist to work on a project that uses in vivo electrophysiology, optogenetic, behavioural and neuroanatomical tracing approaches to characterise the neural mechanisms through which activity in the midbrain colliculi drives cardiovascular, respiratory and somatomotor outputs (Muller-Ribeiro et al. (2016). Respir Physiol Neurobiol, 226, 87-93; Muller-Ribeiro et al. (2014). Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol, 307(8), R1025-1035; Iigaya et al. (2012). Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol, 303(6), R599-610).
The appointment will be made either at Level A or B, depending on experience and track record. The position is available immediately, although the starting date is negotiable.
To be considered for this position, the applicant should address the requirements listed below in a 1 - 2 page cover letter which should be submitted along with a current CV via the Macquarie University online recruitment system.
- A completed Doctoral Degree in neuroscience, physiology, pharmacology or a related field OR evidence of peer reviewed, independent neuroscience research and/or standing/reputation considered to be of an equivalent standard in the discipline area.
- Demonstrated independence in the conduct of laboratory research
- Experience in research which has resulted in a well-regarded record of publications in refereed journals with first, corresponding, or senior authorships.
- Demonstrated ability to perform small animal stereotaxic surgery and post-operative care and monitoring.
- Demonstrated ability to perform physiological recordings from anaesthetised animals (e.g. nerve recordings, single cell electrophysiology, cardiorespiratory variables).
- Demonstrated proficiency in computing, data and signal acquisition and processing and analysis
- Demonstrated experience working in a PC2 research laboratory including knowledge of relevant regulations and guidelines
- Experience in fluorescence and/or confocal imaging, immunochemistry and/or in situ hybridisation and its analysis
- Experience in the conduct and analysis of rodent behavioural experiments
- Professional standing as evidenced by some of the following: refereeing for scholarly journals, examining HDR theses, citations, invitations to present at international conferences.
- A demonstrated ability to successfully supervise honours or postgraduate research students.
Salary Package: from $85,845 - $92,000 p.a. (Level A) or $96,970 - $114,732 p.a. (Level B), plus 17% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading.
Interested candidates are encouraged to contact Dr Simon McMullan (email@example.com) to discuss the position in more detail.