- About us
- Grants & Awards
- Media Centre
Public engagement grants
We are offering grants of up to £5000 to both members of The Society and non-members to run a public activity discussing physiology. We particularly encourage collaborations between expert science communicators, facilitators of public engagement, and our members.
Funding is available to support projects that aim to engage with a public audience about the research and work our members do. Through these projects, we want to foster communities that have a clear understanding and appreciation of the relevance and importance of physiology. Whether this is through inspiring the next generation of physiologists, creating citizen scientists or increasing dialogue between researchers and the public, our key aim is to fund innovative and creative projects.
We are open to any ideas from you as to how physiologists can engage with the public and encourage you to discuss your application with our Outreach Officer before making a submission. Where possible, we will provide feedback and connect you with interested members.
If your application for funding is successful, we will send you material to help with marketing. We will also work with you to develop your idea throughout the project to ensure it is successful and helps address our aims with regard to engaging with public audiences.
To view previously funded activities click here.
Terms and conditions
- Applications must be submitted by midnight, Sunday 15 February 2015.
- Funds received through this grant scheme must only be used for the purpose outlined in the application.
- The Society must be acknowledged in all promotional material, websites and at the event itself. The Society logo is available upon request.
- After the project has finished a report (detailing activities, outcomes and recommendations) must be submitted to The Society along with the completed projects and evaluation learning form. In addition to this we ask may ask you to produce a tool-kit for others wishing to recreate your project.
- A short article to publicise the project should be submitted for The Society's quarterly member's magazine Physiology News either during or after the project.
- Unspent funds must be returned to The Society.
For further help with your application please see our useful links section, and the attachments at the bottom of this page.
As part of your application, you will be asked to outline the aims and objectives of your activity, the intended audience and fully justify all requested costs. We encourage you to find additional sponsorship to run your event, where necessary.
The scheme is open to Members and non-members of The Physiological Society. We will be looking for evidence of experience in engaging with public audiences in applications.
The Society is committed to the principles of diversity, equality and inclusion, and thereby welcomes applications from individuals of all backgrounds. Applications that consider how to involve audiences from a range of different backgrounds (particularly those that are traditionally hard-to-reach) are also encouraged.