Special symposium grants
To honour Members of The Physiological Society who have made exceptional contributions to physiology and/or The Society, funding of up to £5000 is available to Members to run ‘Special Symposia’.
Symposia may coincide with the retirement of the Member or may be held in memoriam. Attendance at Special Symposia must be open to Members, either free of charge or at a reduced registration fee.
Applications for funding are assessed three times a year. Deadlines for submitting grant applications are 31 March, 31 July and 30 November.
To be considered, please send a covering letter and proposal, at least six months prior to the event, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure your proposal addresses the following points:
- Background of the Member to be honoured
- Proposed dates and location of the event
- Contribution to physiology and to The Society of the Member
- Provisional programme (proposed speakers)
- How the symposium furthers the charitable objectives of The Society
Applying for a Special Symposium Grant
Before making an application, please read the following information:
- Each award is for up to £5000. At least 50% of funds are to be spent on scientific activities (e.g. travel and subsistence for invited speakers, room hire etc.); the remainder can be spent on social activities (e.g. a symposium dinner). Funds will be awarded on a competitive basis as assessed by (a) the contribution made to physiology and/or The Physiological Society by the Member to be honoured, (b) the scientific content of the symposium, and (c) how the symposium furthers the charitable objectives of The Society.
- Applications must be made in advance of the meeting to be funded (typically by six months)
- The maximum grant for symposia supported under this scheme is £5000
- Grants cannot be awarded retrospectively
- All symposia supported under this scheme must be organised by a Member(s) or have a Member closely involved with the planning
- All symposia supported under this scheme should make 'concessions' available to those Society Members and Affiliates wishing to attend the event (e.g. free or reduced registration fee)
- Applications for funding will be reviewed by the Meetings Committee, who will consider:
- the contribution made to physiology and/or The Physiological Society by the Member to be honoured
- the scientific content of the symposium
- how the symposium furthers the charitable objectives of The Society
- The Physiological Society should be recognised for its contribution as either a 'named supporter' of the event, and/or through a named 'Physiological Society Lecture'. Successful applicants will be sent The Society logo and this should be displayed appropriately
- All Symposia supported under this scheme will be advertised on The Society's website and in its quarterly magazine, Physiology News. Successful applicants may be asked to provide a short article for the magazine
For further information, please contact email@example.com