Undergraduate Vacation Studentship Scheme
Vacation Studentships offer undergraduates the opportunity to undertake a research project on an area of physiology over their summer break. Working under an academic supervisor, they can complete any kind of research project, providing it is hypothesis-driven and requires data collection and analytical skills. In addition to traditional ‘wet’ lab-based research, the scope for these projects could also include data analysis projects or education/science communication research – but literature reviews are NOT acceptable.
For students living away from home, funding of up to £200 a week for up to eight weeks is on offer. For students living at home, funding of up to £100 a week for up to eight weeks is on offer.
Project supervisors must be full Members of The Society.
Applications for the 2017 round are now open and will close on 28 February 2017.
Terms & Conditions
- Vacation Studentships cover maintenance costs and do not cover consumables or research expenses.
- Students should have completed at least two years' full-time study in a higher education institute (or equivalent), of a degree that incorporates an element of physiology, by the start of the studentship.
- Supervisors should be full Members of The Society and can apply to supervise one student per year.
- A maximum of four awards will be made to any one institution but there is no limit on the number of applications that an institution can make.
- Supervisors of Vacation Studentship Awardees will be responsible for the student and must be actively engaged in their day to day supervision.
- The student is responsible for notifying The Physiological Society if any significant changes should occur either before or during the tenure of the grant award.
- Funds must be used for the expressed purposes as indicated on the original application; any surplus funds must be returned to The Physiological Society.
- Please note that these grants, if awarded, are not taxable income.
- Following successful completion of a Vacation Studentship, students and supervisors will be asked to submit a report by 1 October.
To apply for a Vacation Studentship
To apply, all you need to do is complete an application form with your supervisor and submit it by 28 February 2017. Successful applicants will be informed in April 2017. The scoring criteria are available here.
Once the studentship has taken place, you will be required to submit a report on the work you completed and provide feedback on your experience, by 1 October 2017.
The Physiological Society is committed to the principles of diversity, equality and inclusion, and thereby welcomes applications from individuals of all backgrounds.
If you need any more information or guidance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org