Affiliate membership

​As an Affiliate Member, you have access to a large and growing network of physiologists and are eligible for grants and schemes to support your career.

Join now

Hear from our Members

Who can apply?

Those enrolled in post-graduate studies or in a junior post-doctoral position in a physiology, biomedical or life sciences discipline:

  • Postgraduate students
  • PhD and MD students
  • Junior postdoctoral researchers

You may join at any stage of your studies and can remain an Affiliate for up to five years. At the end of this period, you will be eligible to apply for full membership to the The Society to gain access to additional benefits and remain part of our network of physiologists.

Please note: you may also be eligible for Full Membership.

How much does it cost?

£40 per annum membership fee

What are the benefits?

  • Free or discounted registration rates at most Society Events
  • Grant funding for travel, outreach and training
  • Eligibility for many schemes under Supporting You
  • Free online access to The Journal of PhysiologyExperimental Physiology and Physiological Reports
  • Quarterly Members’ magazine, Physiology News
  • 35% discount on Wiley books
  • 50% reduced rate on membership of the Royal Society of Biology for the first two years

How do I apply?

Click on Join now and you will be taken to the online application form

Membership Code of Professional Conduct: All Members must abide by our Code of Conduct

How do I pay?

We accept the following payment methods:

Fees reductions and waivers

Career break and maternity leave

Members (all categories) on a career break or maternity leave are eligible for a one year waiver of the subscription fee from the date you notify us of these circumstances. If this applies to you please write to us at You retain all your benefits of membership during this period.

Tax relief

If you pay your own Society membership subscription and are a UK taxpayer, you can claim the tax back on your annual tax self-assessment under section 201 of the Income and Corporation Taxes Act (1998). Further details can be found online.

Developing countries

If you are working in a developing country and find the cost of membership prohibitively high, please contact us for assistance.

Site search


Content Type

Sign up to our newsletter

Sign up to our newsletter